Graduating University During the Pandemic

During my three years at Leeds Arts University, I have inevitably been thinking about my graduation.  I feel like I was drip-fed images of graduations throughout my childhood in films and TV shows.  This led to some pretty high expectation of my graduation from my 12 year old self.   
When I started university, I saw students from a number of universities across Leeds in their iconic gowns and caps, all looking mesmerising in their formal wear.  I stayed behind a year at sixth form to complete my Art Foundation course, so most of my friends graduated the year before.  Every time that I saw glimpses of their graduation celebrations on social media I kept thinking "that will be me soon."  I wouldn't go so far as to say that I had planned what I was going to wear, but I had definitely browsed earrings that would be suitable for such an occasion...

Looking back, I felt like I was in a little bubble of university culture.  All I could focus on was finishing my degree, and looking forward to seeing my family at graduation.  I have never really been someone who keeps up to date with the news, not because I am indifferent, but because it tends to make me feel low.  I will inevitably pick up on news stories from conversations with others, or social media, but I must admit that I can  be quite clueless sometimes (and I need to work on this).  So when COVID-19 started to come up in conversations, I did not really understand the scope of the situation.  It was only when it started to directly impact me I realised this was a much more serious situation than I had led myself to naively believe.

I cannot begin to comprehend the horrendous impact COVID-19 has had on people all around the world, and having graduation postponed is a tiny crumb of a problem.  However, I wanted to start an illustration blog as a way of documenting my progression and learning, as well as using it as a space to reflect on my university experience before I forget it.  I am a sentimental person after all, and love to collect things that remind me of memories, or to write about them before they fade completely.  So I cannot skip over COVID-19 and the impact it has had on my last year of university.  The future seems quite uncertain and I have been feeling very nervous about the prospect of trying to start a career during a pandemic, and being a natural worrier has not helped...

So, although I feel like a have been thrown into the post-uni abyss (with the delightful addition of a pandemic) before I am quite ready,  I am just trying to keep busy.  I am regularly drawing and setting mini briefs for myself to add to my portfolio, as well as not putting pressure on myself to make 'amazing' or 'perfect' work at this time.  I think that there is a big expectation from graduates to come out of university and straight into a job (and more importantly a job that links to their degree.)  COVID-19 has basically frozen everything in place, and it is strange to graduate into a national lockdown.  It is certainly not what I imagined the end of my university experience to look like, and a general lingering air of panic and doom is creeping its way into my thoughts.  So I am going to attempt to make pizza dough from scratch soon, so that is something to look forward to!*

*EDIT: the pizza was amazing, and I will never be able to buy those pre-made pizza dough tubes again... Here is the recipe I followed for anyone that is interested:

Comments

Popular Posts