Tomato & Green Pepper Soup



In my opinion, nothing is more comforting than a simple bowl of tomato soup accompanied by a slice of buttered bread.  There were many times during my three years at university that I turned to soup for comfort after a bad day.  I didn't actually make my own soup until second year, when I started to really take an interest in cooking, and I feel a bit sorry for my former 'fresher' self who bought the tinned stuff.  I can't turn back to that life now... when I want soup I make it myself because it is quite amazing how much better homemade soup is!   

Serves 4 / Vegan
Ingredients
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil (for roasting)
- 2 white onions
- 2 garlic cloves 
- 6 medium tomatoes 
- 2 green peppers
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes 
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree 
- 700ml of vegetable stock (using 2 stock cubes)
- 2 heaped tsp of sugar 
- A generous handful of fresh basil
- Salt & pepper for seasoning

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.

2. Chop up the fresh tomatoes and green peppers and put in a baking tray.  Add 2 tbsp of oil and salt/pepper to season.  Roast in the oven for 20-25 mins, or until the pepper starts to blacken at the edges. 

3. While the vegetables are roasting, chop up the onion and garlic.  Add 1 tbsp of oil to a medium sized pan on a medium heat.  Fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins.  

4. After the onion has started to soften, add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and salt/pepper.  Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat.  Simmer for 20 mins. 

5. Once the vegetables are suitably roasted, add them to the medium pan.  Chop up the fresh basil and also add to the pan.  

6. Take the pan off of the heat and blend the soup to the consistency that you like.  Taste and add more seasoning if needed.  

7. Serve with buttered bread slices and enjoy!       

Comments

Popular Posts