So Long 2020


I don't know how to even start trying to sum up 2020... quite frankly it is a year that I would like to bury deep at the back of my subconscious (and hopefully never stumble across again.)  However, having said that, I have achieved some big & significant things this year*; but I have also found it really joyful to acknowledge some of my more mundane achievements.  
If 2020 has taught me anything, it is how to accept that my goals and ambitions may have to be slowed down a tad.  I have a bad habit of needing things to happen really quickly in order for me to believe that I am making progress.  I have had to re-evaluate this mindset during this year, and realise that that mindset is really unrealistic.  

*I class writing this blog post in the "big & significant" achievement category.  I know that I have neglected this blog, but I think that using 2020 as an excuse is acceptable...    

My big & small achievements in 2020:

1. My graduation


On 7th December 2020 I graduated from Leeds Arts University with a First Class degree in Illustration! Although there will always be a small part of me that is sad I didn't get the traditional graduation experience & couldn't share it with my friends and family, I really enjoyed swishing around my tiny flat in the gown and hat.  I got dressed up for the occasion and bought prosecco to 'elegantly' sip from a red wine glass because I don't own any glass flutes.  
(One big benefit to the online graduation was that I was able to get in my pyjamas when I wanted, and could order myself a celebratory takeaway pizza.)      

2. I joined the 'digital age' of illustration

2020 was the year that I finally joined the digital age and got an I-pad & Procreate!  Obviously I did work digitally to and extent before this point, but it was rather grudgingly... I had to work on Photoshop with a pretty old plug-in Wacom tablet.  It was OK to use, but I didn't like the disconnect between the the Wacom tablet and the computer screen.  
I watched a lot of wholesome videos/studio vlogs on Youtube of illustrators using Procreate and thought it looked much more streamlined compared to what I was using.  

So far, I have loved using and experimenting with Procreate!  One major thing that I love is how easy it is to change the colours.  It sounds so simple, but colour palettes do not come easily to me... it takes me a while to find a colour palette that I am happy with (and if I filmed a process video of me using Procreate I am sure a lot of people would cringe at how many times I change the colours...  I like to faff.)  


Some of the first drawings I made on Procreate - Demon pumpkin

Some of the first drawings I made on Procreate - Demon beetroot

Some of the first drawings I made on Procreate - Demon artichoke

3. Making Fimo clay accessories for Etsy

After my final hand in for university, and England going into a second lockdown, I felt really deflated... and my illustration work suffered.  I felt like I had suddenly lost my confidence and was second guessing myself constantly.  I didn't know what materials to use, or if I was becoming too dependant on one group of materials.  (& this is something that I am still struggling with...)  I didn't feel like I had the mental energy to draw myself out of my creative block, so I decided to do something completely different.
I started making fridge magnets out of Fimo clay, and discovered that I really liked the process.  It was so different from drawing & felt new and exciting.  I had made a pair of Fimo elephant earrings years ago, and I stumbled across them accidentally when I was just starting to make things out of Fimo.  I realised that I could convert my designs from the fridge magnets onto earrings and pin badges.

Fimo fridge magnets

Fimo earrings

Fimo pin badges

I initially came up with the designs for jam, marmalade and chocolate spread on toast because I have been eating *a lot* of various spreads on toast during lockdown... to me, spread on toast is so comforting and we all need a bit of comfort right now.  It came as a surprise to me that the earrings and pin badges sold really well because I didn't create them with an audience in mind, I just bloody love toast!  Then I started to  make other designs (e.g. the pencil accessories and ink pot pin shown below) which was really fun!  I love that I have made and sold things that people can wear and (hopefully!) get lots of compliments on.  I really want to start coming up with and crafting new designs in the New Year! 

Fimo pin badges and pencil earrings

4. Knitting 

I have wanted to start learning to knit for ages, but it seems so daunting & scary & complicated... and to be honest I still feel that fear!  What kicked me up the butt to actually start learning was my realisation that I was scrolling meaninglessly on my phone, even while I was watching TV... double screens!  


Knitting is a much more enjoyable use of my time than scrolling endlessly through social media.  So far I have made a very basic winter scarf, and started to make a chunky blanket.  (But I have had to put that project on pause because I didn't realise how much wool I am going to have to buy to complete it... Maybe one day I will finish it... one day.)  I am currently attempting a hot water bottle cover.  
I hope you have enjoyed this small knitting interlude.         

5. Planting chillies, my first chilli harvest & tomato and sweet chilli jam

One day, on a whim, I planted some chilli seeds from an old chilli.  I thought that it wouldn't really be hot enough for chillies to grow and that I would need to plant quite a few seeds as back ups for when most of them inevitably die.  I now have eleven chilli plants on my window sill!  I am thrilled.  

First chilli plant babies - August 2020

First chillies appear - October 2020

I had my first chilli harvest on the 20th December.  It was magical.  I chopped those bad boys up and made a delicious batch of tomato and sweet chilli jam in preparation for all the cheese and crackers I intended to consume on the lead up to Christmas.  I will link the marvellous recipe here, but be warned: when the recipe says "bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced to a jam-like consistency" that jam-like consistency took me a whole day of boiling off vinegar.  My flat stunk.  

First chilli harvest - December 2020

An illustrated label I made for the jam (even though all my chillis turned out green I wanted a red chilli for the label)

Tomato and sweet chilli jam jar with a handmade Fimo label 


Anyway, goodbye 2020.  You have been horrible & scary & utterly rubbish, but not totally bad.           

Comments

Popular Posts