Finding Comfort During the Pandemic Through Cooking & Baking

These illustrations are inspired by three recipes I have tried during the various lockdowns throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.  They have brought me comfort, familiarity and solace during a very tumultuous and distressing time... 
This global crisis has made me realise how important the act of cooking or baking is for me.  The simple act of following a recipe, that results in a delicious creation, is so comforting.  For that little bit of time the world shrinks to fit inside my kitchen, and all there is to worry about is whether or not I burn the food.

(I have added links to all the recipes in the captions under the images if any of these recipes take your fancy!)

'Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins' recipe by Lazy Cat Kitchen 

These chocolate muffins are amazing..!  
At this stage in the pandemic (during lockdown III) there are some comforts that we are all missing and grieving in our own small way.  For me, one of the things I miss is going to a cafe to get a hot drink (especially during the cold months of January/February when it feels like such a huge effort to brave the elements...)  I miss looking at the rows of baked goods and deciding to treat myself for going outside.  I would always eye up chocolate chip muffins if they were available, and although I can't have a coffee shop experience, these muffins certainly manage to satisfy my craving for chocolate.

'Lentil bolognese' recipe by The Almond Eater 

Making meals that are comforting is more important to me now than ever before.  I have recipes that I keep on coming back to again and again, and this lentil bolognese is one of them.  It is so easy to make, which is a big necessity for me right now... I love to cook, but sometimes I just need a super simple recipe that doesn't take ages to cook or make a big mess.

'Tomato and Sweet Chilli Jam' recipe by Delicious.

This recipe is slightly different to the others, because it is not one that I have made over and over.  I made a big batch of this jam around Christmas time in anticipation for all the cheese and crackers I was going to consume over the festive period.  I was also planning to gift a few jars to my family, but unfortunately I didn't get the see them on Christmas... however I still managed to have a lovely Christmas Day with my partner's family.  I brought this chilli jam to theirs and ate as many crackers with and cheese as I could!  

I still have a lot of this jam left because I didn't get to give the extra jars as gifts to my family.  I have been slowly eating it throughout the dark and cold winter months... and it is still delicious!   

    



Comments

Popular Posts